Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Outward Appearances (2/23/2010)

Last week I was preparing some potatoes for baking to go along with our dinner. As I scrubbed them and cut off the blemishes, I found one large potato with a small blemish. When I removed the blemish, however, the potato split in my hand and I discovered that the entire center of it was rotten. Had I not taken the time to remove this blemish, it would have been too late before we realized that someone would be without a potato to accompany their dinner.

It reminded me of the story of David, and how Samuel felt that there was no way that David was suited to be king. "But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7)

Even though I know that most, if not all, are familiar with this story, the potato served as a good reminder that I need to rely less on outward appearances and try to discover the good that lies within others. Better stated, it took a potato to remind me that I need to do a better job of practicing the principle of looking beyond what I see and focusing on who an individual really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment