Thursday, March 4, 2010

Loving Ourselves (3/4/2010)

In the movie "Groundhog Day," the main character is accused by the girl whose affection he is trying to win of never being able to love anyone but himself. His reply? "That's not true. I don't even like myself!" Even though his reply is good for a laugh, I think that there are many people who feel this way. In a talk, President Faust suggested a way to work through this all-too-common feeling.

"The commandment given by the Savior was to love others and yourself.
Am I secure enough in my love of myself to laugh at myself, to admit my mistakes, to graciously accept a compliment? Am I secure in my love of others to smile and say hello to a perfect stranger?

"Years ago in seminary our class was taught:

"I have to live with myself, and so
I want to be fit for myself to know.
I want to go out with my head erect.
I want to demand all men's respect.
I never can hide myself from me;
I see what others may never see.
I can never fool myself, and so,
Whatever happens, I want to be
Self-respecting and conscience free!"

No comments:

Post a Comment