Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Perfection (3/16/2010)

I heard a quote from Elder Neal A. Maxwell recently that really made me think:

"The scriptures concerning life's purposes do make it clear that we are to become like the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ: 'Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect' (Matthew 5:48). 'Therefore I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect.' (3 Nephi 12:48) 'Therefore, what manner of men [and women] ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am.' (3 Nephi 27:27)"

Perfection is one of those things that I always question whether I will be able to attain. I see all of my shortcomings and realize that there are many times when I am about as far away from the Savior as I could be. Yet this quote reminded me that the Lord will never give us any commandment that we cannot fulfill. (see 1 Nephi 3:7) His goal is for us to succeed, to overcome the obstacles that we will encounter in this life, and as long as we seek His help, we are sure to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment