Thursday, May 21, 2009

Change (5/21/2009)

I am sure most of you are familiar with the adage that you can't ever go home. This was driven home to me last night as I took my son to a soccer game in the city where I grew up. He has been asking me questions about my youth lately, so I thought this would be a good chance to show him where I had grown up. Except for the fact that the church I attended has been torn down and a chapel following the design of most chapels in North America today has been put up in its place. And even though the mail box mounted on the wagon wheel is still there, the home where I spent my formative years is gone, replaced by a larger and newer home. And the fields I used to cut across to visit friends have been replaced by subdivisions. And the well with the water fountain that the nice people on the corner set up for kids to get a drink on their way to school has been capped. And to top it off, the marquee on the business where I held my first job announced that the mentary school is being razed and the children of North Ogden will attend a new school instead.

I guess the saying about not being able to go home can be explained by the adage that the only constant is change. Everything on this Earth will, at one point or another, be altered to meet the needs of the people living in that time and place. Perhaps that is why the Savior counseled us to "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven..." (Matthew 6:19-20) So perhaps the adage should be that change should be expected in this life, but the only true constants are our Father in Heaven and our Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment