Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Link (5/28/2009)

This morning, I would like to share an anecdote related by President Hinckley:

"In the summer we lived on a farm. We had a little old tractor. There was a dead tree I wished to pull. I fastened one end of a chain to the tractor and the other end to the tree. As the tractor began to move, the tree shook a little, and then the chain broke. I looked at that broken link and wondered how it could have given way. I went to the hardware store and bought a repair link. I put it together again, but it was an awkward and ugly connection. The chain was never, never the same.

"As I sat in the celestial room of the temple pondering these things, I said to myself, 'Never permit yourself to become a weak link in the chain of your generations.'"

We live in a world where so many individuals live in the moment. Decisions are often made instantaneously with little or no regard to the potential long-term consequences that those choices might carry. As we make decisions on a daily basis - especially those choices that could impact our relationship with our Father in Heaven - I hope that we will take the time to consider how our choices will not just influence our lives, but the lives of those who come after us.

No comments:

Post a Comment