Monday, June 29, 2009

Gratitude in Tribulation (6/29/2009)

"And it came to pass that when he had traveled three days in the wilderness, he pitched his tent in a valley by the side of a river of water. And it came to pass that he built an altar of stones, and made an offering unto the Lord, and gave thanks unto the Lord our God." (1 Nephi 2:6-7)

My daughter shared this scripture with us last night in our family council. I was impressed by it because it reminded me that I should be thankful, regardless of what is happening in my life. Here we have Lehi who, from what we know about him, was rather well off. He had at least money enough to purchase the Plates of Brass, a home, and the comforts that come from living in a large city. When the Lord commanded him, however, he packed up his family and left for the desert.

His obedience is commendable, but what impresses me even more about this account is that he was able to give thanks for the position in which he found himself. I know that we will all face challenges in our lives, but I hope that when we do, we will still take the time to express our thanks to our Father in Heaven for the many blessings - both seen and unseen - that are in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment