Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Using the Scriptures (6/10/2009)

"O my sons, I would that ye should remember that these sayings are true, and also that these records are true. And behold, also the plates of Nephi, which contain the records and the sayings of our fathers from the time they left Jerusalem until now, and they are true; and we can know of their surety because we have them before our eyes.

"And now, my sons, I would that ye should remember to search them diligently, that ye may profit thereby; and I would that ye should keep the commandments of God, that ye may prosper in the land according to the promises which the Lord made unto our fathers." (Mosiah 1:6-7)

If I have a cookbook that tells me how to make the best spaghetti in the world, I will starve to death if I do nothing to obtain the ingredients or cook them. If I have a book that shows me how to build a house, if I do not buy wood and a hammer, I will still be exposed to the elements. Books can impart a wide range of knowledge to us, but if we never act on that knowledge, they will never avail us anything. This is especially true of the scriptures.

Our Father in Heaven has taught us through His prophets the things that we need to do so that we can live with Him again after this life. Reading the scriptures can tell us what these things are, but only when we study them and do what we are taught can they help us.

No comments:

Post a Comment