Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Example (8/4/2009)

"And it came to pass that I did go forth among the Nephites, and did repent of the oath which I had made that I would no more assist them; and they gave me command again of their armies, for they looked upon me as though I could deliver them from their afflictions." (Mormon 5:1)

Here is one of the parts of the Book of Mormon that I would love to better understand. Mormon, having told the Nephites that he would not longer lead their armies, accepts the responsibility of command again even though he goes on to confess that he had no hope for either the Nephites or their cause. One thing was very clear to me as I read this verse with my family this morning, however. The Nephites knew that Mormon was a man of God, and because of Mormon's righteousness, they felt that his righteousness could save them.

Whether we recognize it or not, there are individuals in our lives who look to us as well. People have an idea of the things we find acceptable and those that we do not. Because of this, I know of several individuals who look to us as members of Christ's church to set their own moral compasses regardless of whether they embrace the teachings of the Gospel. That is why it is vital for us to remember to be the example of good at all times. That way, when those around us need someone to look to for guidance, we can be that individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment