Monday, April 12, 2010

Learning from General Conference (4/5/2010)

I enjoyed listening to General Conference this past weekend. While there were many things that I took from the messages presented, one of the best was from President Uchtdorf's talk on patience in the Priesthood session. From his talk:

"Patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring... staying with something and doing all we can - working, hoping and exercising faith."

I talked afterwards with my oldest son who attended the meeting with me about this talk (since patience is one of those things both he and I could use help with). His reaction was that he had failed to reach the mark established by President Uchtdorf, but I pointed out to him that he cannot have failed because he has not yet reached the end of his life. The messages we hear at General Conference are not meant to condemn us for our shortcomings (though it may sometimes feel as though they are). They are intended to teach us, to remind us of what we need to do moving forward. I understand where my son was coming from, but with his comment, I realized that as long as I wake up every morning, I have the chance to apply what I have been taught and strive to become better.

No comments:

Post a Comment