Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Trials (4/26/2010)

This past Friday, our family entered a new phase of our life. My wife, after taking 12 years off to start our family, received her college degree. The past two semesters have been particularly difficult, as all of us in the family have made sacrifices in order for her to realize this dream. There were plenty of evenings when I would come home from work only to find that my day was just beginning instead of ending. To make a long story short, these past few years I have found myself in the dense forest, often able to see only the trees around me.

I don't say these things to complain. I simply wanted to use this experience as an example of a life lesson I have learned. When trying to focus on attaining the goal we came to this Earth to achieve, we will always encounter obstacles. Sometimes - as has happened to me lately more often that I care to admit - overcoming the individual obstacles becomes the focus instead of reaching the overall goal. What I have learned and am working to bring my life back around to is the fact that as long as we are doing those things we need to do to return to live with our Father in Heaven, all of the other obstacles will melt away.

Trials come to an end. The challenges we face today will be a distant memory next week or next month or next year. In fact, those may be the very things upon which we look back and laugh, or even realize how much stronger they made us. The important thing I have (re)discovered is the importance of focusing on the things that will matter most in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment