Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Death (5/19/2010)

I have to admit that coming up with a thought today is more difficult than usual. One of the individuals with whom I work here at the University of Utah Hospital - someone who has subscribed to this list since its inception - suddenly passed away this morning at work. I have not seen much of him in recent years since we both moved offices to different locations, but it does not diminish the reality and the hurt of his death.

When my mother passed away 11 years ago, I was comforted then as I am today by the knowledge that this life is just a stepping stone along a much longer path. I feel bad for those who do not understand this, and who feel that when they die it is the end of everything. The time of separation from those who are left behind is painful as we remember the good that these people brought into our lives, but we are fortunate to have been taught that the end of our life here marks the opportunity to reunite with loved ones and await the day when we, because of the Atonement, can be resurrected and "in (the) flesh... see God." (see Job 19:26)

No comments:

Post a Comment