Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Enjoy the moment (5/12/2010)

Last night I was at the church when the bishop walked in. Since it was another rainy and cold day here, he wondered aloud whether summer would ever come. As one who is not particularly fond of summer (I can always dress up against the cold. Heat is another matter altogether.), his question made me stop to think about how often I am so anxious to move onto the next thing that I miss what is going on around me. It reminded me of a job I had while in college. Every afternoon my co-workers and I would spend our 15 minute break going out and watching the sunset. We didn't normally have much to say. We just sat and appreciated being in that moment, enjoying the beauty of the world.

Let me qualify my previous anecdotes by stating that we do need to keep an eye on our eternal goals. Without that vision it is easy to lose our way. I think it is important to stop and enjoy where we are as well. Our Father in Heaven created this beautiful world for us. He gave us a wide variety of landscapes, weather, friends, and many other things to make our lives here full and rich. We may not fully appreciate everything that comes our way - just like the bishop would prefer warm weather instead of the rain - but I hope that we will stop today and be thankful for all the good we do have.

No comments:

Post a Comment