Monday, May 3, 2010

Judging (4/30/2010)

One of my favorite things to do is cook. I especially love cooking for other people, as many are surprised that I, as a guy, can make something other than macaroni and cheese or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Today I have put on a crock pot of chili for our ward chili cookoff, and honestly I have no idea how I will fare in the judging this time around. I am using a recipe that won me second place in the cookoff two years ago (my other entry won first that night), but if past experience is any indicator, I will not do as well this time around. I say this because I submitted my two-years-ago first place entry in last year's cookoff, and it didn't even place. Of course there was none left to take home, so people didn't necessarily hate it, but it just goes to show that when it comes to judging, people's tastes vary. With all that said, if people like what I made, I will be happy.

As I was preparing the chili last night and trying to decide how to season it, I started thinking about the way our Father in Heaven judges us. While this might not be an ideal comparison, I did realize that we judge situations and individuals according to our own experiences and biases. Our Father, on the other hand, sees beyond our facade and knows who we really are. (see Mosiah 4:30, Isaiah 55:8-9) Because He understands that, He will always judge us fairly because He knows if we have truly put forth our best effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment