Monday, June 14, 2010

Ordinances and Commitment (6/14/2010)

I had the opportunity yesterday to substitute for my Gospel Essentials class. The lesson was on baptism which led to an interesting discussion about principles and ordinances. The conclusion we reached was that an ordinance is an external manifestation of an inner commitment that comes from the principles we are taught.

One of the cautions given, however, is to make sure that such commitments are made "...with full purpose of heart, acting no hypocrisy and no deception before God, but with real intent..." (see 2 Nephi 31:12-13) We can go through the motions of being baptized, of taking the Sacrament each week, but if we are not sincere about the commitments we make, our Father will not be fooled and our participation in these ordinances will mean little.

I don't share this thought by means of passing judgement - there are plenty of times when I need to pay close attention to my level of commitment as well. I just hope that as we renew our baptismal covenants each week, we will remember that this is a reflection of a commitment that comes from within.

No comments:

Post a Comment