Thursday, November 12, 2009

Following the Savior (11/12/2009)

I have volunteered to play in an orchestra for a neighboring stake that is performing Handel's opus The Messiah. I don't know what it is about the music that gets stuck in my head, but I have heard in my mind many of the passages over and over lately. One of the verses that I have heard lately comes from Isaiah:

"He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

"Surely he has borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows; yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

"All we, like sheep, have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquities of us all." (Mosiah 14:3-6; see also Isaiah 53:3-6)

How often do I "hide my face" from my Savior, favoring what the world would have me do instead of what I should do? How far have I, like a sheep, gone astray from the loving Shepherd? Jesus Christ did everything He could to make it possible for us to return to live with our Father again. He atoned for the mistakes we would make, He showed us a more perfect way, and He calls to each of us to follow Him. I hope that we can all come to a greater understanding of what the Savior did for us, and that we will be more diligent in heeding His call.

No comments:

Post a Comment