Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Doing Our Part (1/13/2010)

As Moroni wrote his dissertation on faith in Ether 12, he lamented the fact that those who would receive his words would discount them because of his weakness in writing. He prayed that we Gentiles would be willing to forgive him that weakness, when the Lord answered his prayer.

"And it came to pass that the Lord said unto me: If they have not charity it mattereth not unto thee, thou hast been faithful; wherefore, thy garments shall be made clean. And because thou hast seen thy weakness thou shalt be made strong, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father." (Ether 12:37)

Reading this verse with my family the other night, I was impressed that the Lord told Moroni that since he had done his part, he would be blessed. This led me to think how we, as members of the Church of Jesus Christ, have been instructed to share the Gospel with our family, friends, and neighbors. Too often I know that I worry about how people will perceive me if I start to talk to them about religion, but this verse reminded me that as long as I truly do my part, I will be blessed.

We do not know what goes on in the hearts of the people with whom we associate (see 1 Samuel 16:7), and it just might be that someone we know needs what we have to offer. With that in mind, I hope that we will be more diligent in our missionary efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment