Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Whole Picture (1/7/2010)

Last Saturday, our family took a day trip. Because we have a two year old and a four year old, we used the VCR in our Suburban to play Disney movies to help fill the time between home and our destination. Since the audio plays through the stereo speakers in the car, it was interesting to listen to the movie Cinderella without actually being able to watch it. I noted how much of the movie was just music and sound effects, something that had never come to my attention while watching the animation. Without the pictures, the story made far less sense, and would not have kept my attention if the audio was all I could rely on.

For whatever reason, this got me thinking about how in Nephi's vision, the angel explained how many "plain and precious parts of the Gospel" had been removed by the great and abominable church. (see 1 Nephi 13:26-40) So while many people in the world have parts of Christ's word to help them, they are not able to see the whole picture. And just like I would not have been able to understand the whole movie my children were watching had I not seen it before, it must be difficult for these individuals to grasp what our Father in Heaven intends for us. This is just one reason of many why I am thankful that Joseph Smith restored The Church of Jesus Christ in these last days, and why I am grateful for ongoing revelation today.

No comments:

Post a Comment