Friday, October 16, 2009

Listening (10/16/2009)

Yesterday I was listening to a live recording of a Simon and Garfunkel concert that I have. In one of their songs, "The Sound of Silence," they talk of people who are "hearing without listening." I found a gem of wisdom in Simon's lyrics - how often do I hear something like a talk in General Conference or a scripture without really listening to what it is saying? Or if the Spirit is talking to me, how often do I listen to and follow its promptings?

We have been given prophets and other leaders to help guide us through these last days. The challenges we face today are unlike any others the world has ever seen. It is not just enough, however, to hear their counsel if we are to have hope to escape these days unscathed. We must also listen to their meaning and then work to apply their messages in our lives. As we re-read the conference talks online or in the Ensign and the Liahona, I hope that we can truly listen to these messages that come from our Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment