Monday, October 5, 2009

Listening to the Spirit (10/5/2009)

One of the most meaningful messages I took away from Conference this weekend was the need to listen to the Spirit. In a world that is increasingly confused, a world where the "gray area" seems to be constantly shrinking and the draw to Satan's side of the line seems to be more powerful each day, using this gift with which we have been blessed is increasingly vital.

Of course, it is incumbent upon us to live our lives in such a way that we can hear what the Spirit is telling us. To help illustrate this principle to my children, I had them each make as much noise as they could. Six children can make a lot of noise when asked, and when they finally figured out that I really was telling them that it was OK to be noisy, I started to quietly give them an instruction. Of course none of them could hear my instruction over the din, and pretty soon their curiosity got the better of them and they quieted down so that they could hear what I was saying.

Our lives can be polluted with different forms of noise as well. Whether it is the actual noise of loud music or whether it is the million things we need to get to that clutter our spiritual hearing, I heard the message this weekend that it is vital to take the advice to "Be still, and know that I am God..." (Psalms 46:10) When we can do that, we will be ready to be guided through these difficult last days.

No comments:

Post a Comment