Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Mr. Bones and Me (Helping Others) (10/13/2009)

Today I have Mr. Bones. Mr. Bones is a bear that I purchased some years back for Halloween, and during the month of October, he always goes to school or work with someone in the family, then when we sit down for dinner, the person with Mr. Bones tells what they did and then passes the bear on to the next person.

As I listened to President Monson's Sunday morning General Conference address, I knew that Mr. Bones would come with an additional responsibility this year. President Monson spoke of a Dr. Jack McConnell whose minister father would always ask his children at the dinner table "And what did you do for someone today?" I added the twist, however, that the person with the bear had to do something for someone within the family (with the hopes of fostering better will between siblings) and for someone outside the family.

It has been an interesting exercise to actively look for ways that I can help people, and wondering what really makes a difference. Does my commiserating with the challenges a co-worker faces help even though it is beyond my ability to fix the problems they face? Do I actually have to DO something for it to help? There are a hundred questions that have run through my mind as I have looked for someone who could use help simply because I know that at the dinner table tonight I will be asked, probably not unlike the questions I will hear when I meet the Father again, "And what did you do for someone today?"

No comments:

Post a Comment