Monday, October 12, 2009

Our Journey (10/12/2009)

"I have walked that long road to freedom. I have tried not to falter; I have made missteps along the way. But I have discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. I have taken a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance I have come. But I can only rest for a moment, for with freedom comes responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not ended." -Nelson Mandela

Even though Nelson Mandela was referring here to his work against apartheid in his nation, I think that this quote is a good one for us all. There are spiritual hills that each of us climbs during our life, and when we crest the summit of one of these hills, it can be satisfying to see how far we have come, and how beautiful the panorama is from this new vantage point. If we spend longer than a moment considering our accomplishment, however, we risk losing not only the progress we have yet to make but also the progress we have made.

I will be the first to acknowledge how difficult it is to just keep putting one foot in front of another some days. As long as our journey here is not over, we need to forge ahead every day as we travel home to our Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment