Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Living our Heritage (7/22/2009)

Where we will celebrate the arrival of the pioneers in the Salt Lake valley this Friday, I wanted to share a thought with you today about our pioneer heritage. Instead, I found a quote from Elder L. Tom Perry that was a good reminder of just how valuable our pioneer heritage is:

"I was shocked by a statistic that crossed my desk a few weeks ago. It stated that only thirteen percent of the children being reared in our country today come from traditional homes consisting of a working father, a stay-at-home mother, and one or more children. Each day we see the effects of the breakup of the traditional home. There is an alarming increase in the number of battered wives, physically and sexually abused children, vandalism in schools, teenage crime rates, pregnancies among unmarried teenagers, and elderly people growing old without the solace of an extended family.

"Our present prophet has warned us that the home is the place to save society. A proper home, of course, is not created automatically when a boy and girl fall in love and marry. It takes those same virtues that were taught in pioneer homes - faith, courage, discipline, and dedication - to make the success of a marriage. But just as those pioneers made a desert blossom as a rose, so it will happen in our lives and in our homes if we follow their traditions and follow the great heritage that they establish in these valleys of the mountains. Yes, a pioneer faith is needed as much in the world today as in any period of time. Once again, we need to know that heritage. We need to teach it; we need to be proud of it; we need to preserve it."

As a father of six children, I have seen the wide eyes that say "why would you have so many?" I have been scoffed by others when they hear that I practice my religion. But just as Elder Perry talked about here, I know that by living the values and religion that those pioneers fought to preserve, my life and the lives of my family will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment