Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Natural Principle (7/30/2009)

When Mormon was placed in charge of the Nephite armies, he was hopeful that he would be able to rally the Nephites to repent and return to their Father in Heaven, as so many before them had done. When he saw that the people began to be sorrowful, he thought that there might be hope for them, but then he records:

"But behold this my joy was vain, for their sorrowing was not unto repentance, because of the goodness of God; but it was rather the sorrowing of the damned, because the Lord would not always suffer them to take happiness in sin." (Mormon 2:13)

As Alma reminded his son Corianton, wickedness never has resulted in happiness. This is an absolute principle, and no matter how much people will try to rationalize away their morality, the constancy of this principle will not change. To illustrate this point to my children, I took a beanbag and asked them what would happen if I threw it in the air. They said that it would come back to the ground, so I tried it, and they were right. I inquired why this was, and they replied that it was because of gravity, and that as long as I sat in my chair and threw the beanbag up, it would keep returning to the ground.

I then asked them what would happen if I commanded the beanbag to stay in the air. Of course it didn't work no matter how many times I tried it. Ultimately the law of gravity prevailed over my desire to keep the beanbag in the air. It is the same with the commandments and principles that our Father in Heaven has laid out for us through His servants, the prophets. We are free to exercise our will, but unless we are willing to align our will to the will of the Father, we will always find ourselves fighting against natural principles to no good end.

No comments:

Post a Comment