Thursday, July 9, 2009

Optimism in Adversity (7/9/2009)

"Do not let us speak of darker days; let us speak rather of sterner days. These are not dark days; these are great days - the greatest days our country has ever lived; and we must all thank God that we have been allowed, each of us according to our stations, to play a part in making these days memorable in the history of our race." - Winston Churchill

These words, spoken in the throes of World War II and the German bombing campaign against England are inspiring to me. I'm sure that this time had destruction and death always on the minds of the English, yet Churchill reminded them that those days, while not pleasant, would help strengthen and define the character of the British.

Lately, I have had a struggle (to a lesser degree than the British, to be sure) trying to maintain optimism in the face of challenges. Without getting too detailed, we have had two major household appliances and a car (the second one this year) fail on us in the past two weeks, we received word that my wife will likely be downsized from the part time job she works, and there have been other things which, to say the least, have not worked out as expected.

Yet as I gathered my thoughts to say my prayers last night, frustrated and tired, I stopped and realized how many things I still have to be thankful for. I have a roof over my head. I have more than adequate food to eat. I have a family that loves me, and I am still able to provide for their needs. The list goes on, but last night I was reminded again how much having the Gospel and the perspective it brings sustains me from day to day.

No comments:

Post a Comment